In the middle of my 3rd roll of film, I noticed a strange aberration showing up among my exposures. Occasionally, the left third of the frame was coming back badly overexposed.
By the time I got through my 4th roll, the overexposed portion was appearing with a clearly demarcated line. What ever was going wrong seemed to be evolving—and ruining a significant number of shots.
I showed the scans to some people who professionally service Leicas, and they suggested that it was likely a result of failed lubricant affecting the curtain brake. In other words, the camera, which doesn’t even have a battery, needed a lube job. Or in Leica parlance, it needed to be CLA’d: cleaned, lubricated, and adjusted. Which means sending the camera away for a few weeks (and parting with another couple of hundred dollars). Sigh…
So don’t be alarmed if you see a few photos in full technicolor return to Justinsomnia while the Leica is in the shop. Fear not, delayed gratification photography will return!