A little kayaking, a little barbecued oysters

I think I’ve perfected the art of spontaneous activity. It sort of goes like this.

Wake up very leisurely. Weather is overcast but not raining, the forecasted precipitation having postponed the camping trip planned for this weekend. So no plans. Something about boating creeps into my head, and the thought that if it’s a little sprinkly out, the one place to be is outside on the water.

Suggest to Stephanie that we go kayaking (still having a discount to use after my basic kayaking skills class). Discover she’s a little hesitant about water depth, and wide open expanses of ocean while being enclosed in a small boat, and sharks. I cajole, so she commits to give it a shot.

We get to Blue Waters in Marshall a little before 3 (this is important, because they close at 5), and the clouds have quite literally opened up above Tomales Bay. It’s warm out. The water is relatively calm. No one else is around. Get suited up, and we’re off, sans wet suits cause we’re in a closed-deck kayak, no sharks in site. Now where to go? We start heading south, into the wind before deciding to jet across the bay towards some cliffs covered with red algae. The gmaps pedometer says we probably paddled about 1.5 miles.

Route across Tomales Bay, kayaking with Stephanie

Disembark on the beach for snacks and exploring. Discover some massive brown jellyfish (probably sea nettles?) that have been washed ashore.

Brown jellyfish, probably a sea nettle, washed ashore

Justin, Banana, Kayak

Justin, Banana, Kayak

Stephanie, Banana, Kayak

Stephanie, Banana, Kayak

Yeah, so those pictures taken of us are on the Point Reyes side, with the California coast mainland (where we paddled from) in the background. By the time we left the beach it was after 4(!) and we need to get back before they close, so we motored across the bay, this time with the wind, making it in about half an hour.

BUT! The day of spontaneity wasn’t over yet. After a cup of chowder at the Marshall General Store, we stopped in at the Hog Island Oyster Company (well after they’d closed) and managed to pick up two dozen medium oysters for some barbecuing later…

So we got in touch with Mark, Marcia, and spent the rest of the evening at Mark’s brother’s place in Graton, drinking beer, shucking oysters, grilling meats and vegetables. On top of it all, roasting some marshmallows over the remaining coals. Got back home around midnight. Stuffed.

· Outdoors